Today, we’ll answer the question on everyone’s mind: what sort of soup goes well with sourdough bread?
Sourdough bread is all the rage right now, and we’ve heard that our readers like it.
But what about soup?
See Also: 50 Best Soups with Turnips
So, if you’re serving sourdough bread with your soup, how do you decide which soup to pair with it?
Well, weve got answers.
We’ve compiled a selection of soups that go well with sourdough bread.
All you have to do is open your cupboard, go through your ingredients, and choose a dish from our list that fits!
Lets get started!
Also see: How to Serve Albondigas Soup. 17 Delicious Side Dishes
- What Soup Goes Well with Sourdough Bread?
- What Soup Goes Well with Sourdough Bread? (9 Soups)
- What is the best bread to eat with soup?
- What pairs well with sourdough bread?
- What is a soup in a bread bowl called?
- What is the best soup dish in the world?
- How do you eat sourdough bread soup?
- What is the correct way to eat bread with soup?
- Is sourdough bread good for bowels?
- Why is sourdough bread healthier?
- What is the big deal with sourdough bread?
- Why soup is served with bread?
What Soup Goes Well with Sourdough Bread?
Soups with a richer base complement sourdough bread the best. This might be anything from a robust vegetable soup to pasta e fagioli to a creamy mushroom soup. These soups will seep into the bread, expanding your already satisfied senses!
If you want to go the other way, a light broth might also be a good combination. Chicken noodle soup is usually a safe bet, but we also enjoy pho and chicken tortilla.
Soup goes well with sourdough bread, so we compiled a list of soups that are guaranteed to delight even the pickiest eaters.
We’ve got you covered for your next dinner date with your favorite loaf, with creamy classics like corn chowder and tomato bisque to substantial selections like potato soup and chili.
So, here are 9 soups that pair with sourdough bread:
1. Creamy Mushroom Soup
If you’re searching for the perfect soup to pair with your favorite bread, creamy mushroom soup is the way to go.
How to make creamy mushroom soup in 5 easy steps:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Combine the onions, fresh thyme, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring periodically, until the mushrooms are browned.
- Allow chicken broth to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend in cream cheese and half-and-half.
- Blend the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth (if using a food processor, return to the saucepan). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with sourdough bread on the side!
2. Tomato basil soup
Tomato basil soup is flavorful, creamy, and thick enough to stand up to the robust taste of sourdough but not so rich that you feel cheated.
Furthermore, the sweet acidity of the tomatoes complements the savory saltiness of the bread, and if you want something green on your platter, a few basil leaves will suffice.
Heres how we make our tomato basil soup:
- Sautee onion, garlic, and carrots in olive oil.
- Combine the flour, tomato paste, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes in a mixing bowl. Cook until everything is well mixed.
- Combine the vegetable broth, tomatoes (with juice), and beans in a mixing bowl. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and sugar.
- Remove from the heat and puree until smooth. Serve garnished with basil leaves!
3. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
While practically any soup would go well with sourdough bread, one of our favorites is roasted butternut squash soup.
Heres how to make it in 5 easy steps:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the butternut squash into cubes after peeling and seeding it. Place them on a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes, or until softly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a big saucepan over medium heat. simmer until the onions are tender, approximately 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and simmer until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Bring the roasted butternut squash and vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and cook for 10 minutes, or until everything is soft.
- Place the heated soup mixture, along with the lemon juice, in a blender or food processor in stages and purée until smooth. If necessary, season with salt and pepper to taste (as I usually do).
- Serve immediately with crusty sourdough bread!
4. Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup
This bread and soup combo is wonderful for the summer months, but it is also delicious whenever you want something light and fresh.
One of our favorites is the creamy broccoli and cheese soup, which is rich and delicious while remaining light and pleasant.
And the best part?
This creamy broccoli and cheese soup couldn’t be simpler.
Heres how to make it in five simple steps:
- In a saucepan, sauté onions, garlic, salt, and pepper until tender.
- Cook the broccoli florets, broth, and milk until soft (approximately 15 minutes).
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender until it is smooth.
- Mix cheese into the soup until fully melted
- Season with additional salt and pepper
Serve with your favorite sourdough bread, then dig in with a spoon!
5. Lentil soup
Look no farther than our renowned lentil soup for a memorable meal to present at dinner gatherings, or just a delicious complement to your lunch or weekend brunch.
We’ll show you how to create it in just five stages and then tell you how we generally serve it with the soup.
You’ll be blown away by the taste combination when you match this hearty, rich entrée with our hearty, rich bread. Just remember to leave space for dessert!
- Heat up some olive oil in a pot
- Cook until the garlic and onion are transparent.
- Cook for another 2 minutes after adding the carrots and celery.
- Bring lentils, vegetable stock, or water to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
Serve with sourdough bread on the sideand enjoy!
6. Potato Leek Soup
If you like a crisp slice of sourdough bread with your soup, you’ll agree that this pairing is a match made in heaven.
This specific mix is ideal for impressing a visitor or when you and your family are looking for something especially cozy.
Our potato leek soup and sourdough bread combination is easy to prepare yet full of flavor, and nothing beats the salty, buttery crunch of the bread against the smooth creaminess of our potato leek soup.
Heres how to make this dish:
- Follow the package directions to make our potato leek soup.
- Toast sourdough bread slices in the oven until golden brown.
- 1 tablespoon softened butter (optional) on each piece of bread
- Pour the soup into dishes and garnish with parsley.
- Serve alongside your favorite dinner wine!
7. Vegetable Beef Stew
Sourdough bread: the best way to eat vegetables?
We think so.
It’s a terrific way to amaze dinner guests (or simply your family) by serving it with a delicious veggie beef stew (See Also: What to Serve with Beef Stew?).
We’ve got 5 easy steps that will have you ready to serve this meaty combination in under an hour.
- Fill a big saucepan halfway with water and place it over medium-high heat.
- Stir in one package of our veggie beef soup mix until dissolved.
- When the mixture starts to boil, add 1 pound of stew meat and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Cook, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the veggies are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with sourdough bread!
8. Chicken Noodle Soup
Sourdough bread goes well with chicken noodle soup.
Also see: What Vegetables Do You Put in Chicken Noodle Soup? (A total of 18 vegetables)
Heres how you make it in five steps:
- Boil chicken in water until it is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and put it aside. Cook the noodles until they are al dente.
- Carrots, celery, and onion should be diced and sautéed in olive oil or butter over medium heat until soft. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- When the carrot and onion combination has cooled enough to handle, add it to the saucepan with the chicken stock, followed by the precooked chicken. Simmer for 20 minutes or longer, until all veggies are soft and mushy, exactly the way we like them!
- Season with salt and pepper before serving over freshly sliced sourdough bread (or toasted crostini).
To be sure, sourdough and chicken noodle soup is a traditional combination.
However, no matter how often it is served together, it never gets old.
Here are two reasons why we love it so much:
- It is quite chilly outdoors.It’s getting cold outside. And when the weather is this cold, nothing beats a warming cup of soup to warm your hands and heart. Sourdough bread works well with almost any soup, but we really like how it enhances the chicken noodle soup from [link to recipe].
- You’re ill.We realize this isn’t the most exciting excuse to eat chicken noodle soup, but it’s one of the key reasons it exists at all! So, if you’re feeling under the weather, grab your favorite blanket, snuggle up on the sofa with a steaming cup of chicken noodle soup, and dig some delicious sourdough into that broth. You’ll soon feel better.
9. French Onion Soup
French onion soup is ideal for a rainy day or whenever you want to curl up in front of the fire and enjoy the taste of a robust broth, onions, and cheese.
Also see: The 17 Best Sandwiches for French Onion Soup
For an even greater experience, pair it with a glass of red wine.
Heres how to make it:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar and butter together, stirring frequently until the sugar dissolves (approximately 3 minutes).
- Cook, stirring periodically, for 15 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Stir in wine; bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the liquid has nearly completely evaporated.
- Bring the other ingredients, except the cheese, to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil, with rack 6 inches from the flame.
- Fill oven-safe bowls halfway with soup and sprinkle with 1 spoonful of cheese each.
- Broil for 3 minutes, or until the cheese browns.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with parsley before serving with sourdough toast!
What to Serve with Soup Other Than Bread 35 Simple Sides
What to Serve with Soup Besides Salad (21 Sides)
What to Serve with Lentil Soup (28 Recipes)
What Should You Serve With Potato Soup? 30 Delicious Side Dishes
25 Simple Side Dishes to Serve with Ham and Bean Soup
Other than grilled cheese, what else can you serve with tomato soup?
What Dessert Goes With Soup? 10 Easy Desserts
16 Simple Side Dishes to Serve with Potato Leek Soup
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup (52 Delicious Side Dishes)
What to Serve with Asparagus Soup 10 Side Dishes
16 Best Soups to Serve with Pizza (With Recipes)
What Kind of Bread to Serve with Soup (39 Breads)
What Soup Goes Well with Sourdough Bread? (9 Soups)
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Tomato basil soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Lentil soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Vegetable Beef Stew
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Choose any of the soups on this list to accompany your sourdough bread.
- Prepare the ingredients in the order specified in the recipe.
- Be ready to munch in no time!
What is the best bread to eat with soup?
What kind of bread goes with soup? Sourdough and Rye breads complement robust soups and tomato-based soups well. A crusty bread, such as French bread, Italian bread, or baguettes, is ideal for dipping with both creamy and brothy soups.
What pairs well with sourdough bread?
Hummus is one of our favorite sourdough bread toppings. This is just as simple as it sounds! … Hummus with avocado. As a sourdough bread topping, I can’t decide between avocado and hummus.
Pickled Onions and Cheddar.
Caramelized leeks with fava beans.
Fresh Berries and Greek Yogurt.
Brie cheese, green olives, and herbs.
What is a soup in a bread bowl called?
This form is also known as a boule, which is derived from the French word for ball. To make bread bowls for French onion soup, we utilize boules. The bread is fantastic with caramelized onions and melted cheese, but it also makes an excellent (eating!) sandwich.
What is the best soup dish in the world?
The world’s most renowned soups
Malaysian and Singaporean laksa
çorbas, Yayla (Turkey)
Minestrone (from Italy)
Thai Tom Yum (Thailand)
Mexican Tortilla Soup
Green Caldo (Portugal)
How do you eat sourdough bread soup?
Served with dinner
Sourdough bread slices make a simple and tasty side dish. For example, the greatest way to enjoy any soup is with a little (or large!) piece of sourdough bread.
What is the correct way to eat bread with soup?
The proper technique to eat soup at a formal occasion is to never dip your bread into your soup. Soup etiquette for bread is to drink your soup off your spoon, put your spoon on your plate, and then pick up your bread and eat with the same hand you used for your spoon.
Is sourdough bread good for bowels?
Better Digestive Health
Sourdough bread, according to some research, functions as a prebiotic, which means that the fiber in the bread helps feed the “good” bacteria in your intestines. These bacteria are necessary for a stable and healthy digestive tract.
Why is sourdough bread healthier?
Sourdough bread has more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants than other types of bread. It also includes less phytate, which enables your body to absorb the nutrients it provides more readily than normal bread.
What is the big deal with sourdough bread?
Sourdough taste enhances the dough (the flavor we all know and love!) and helps the bread maintain its form better. The natural microorganisms in the bread also aids in its shelf life (around 5 days on the counter). Sourdough is often simpler to digest for the customer.
Why soup is served with bread?
The bread will soak up the soup, giving each mouthful a delightful bite.