It has a bland flavor and varying textures depending on how it is prepared, ranging from gooey to watery. Oatmeal is simple to make and high in nutrients, making it an excellent way to start the day.
Whether cooked with milk or water, this porridge has a nutty, toasted, and earthy taste. As a result, it may be served as either a sweet or savory meal.
What do you have with your oatmeal? Oatmeal is a blank canvas that may be topped with a variety of components such as fruits, nuts, seeds, yogurt, nut butter, and proteins on the side or as an oatmeal topping.
From weight reduction to a quick breakfast, oatmeal is often made using old-fashioned rolled, quick, or steel-cut oats. The oat variety will change the texture of the bowl, but it invites all types of additives to the nutritious grain.
However, after time, this meal might become lackluster. Nobody wants to eat the same taste oatmeal over and over again, particularly if it’s a bowl of beige, gluey mush with brown sugar or maple syrup and cinnamon powder.
Nevertheless, there is a solution: oatmeal can be turned straight-up delicious by incorporating flavors, protein, side dishes, and technique. This article discusses the best oatmeal additions and side meals.
- What flavor goes well with oatmeal?
- Eat With Oatmeal: Conclusion
- What goes well with oatmeal?
- What is a good protein to eat with oatmeal?
- What to eat with oatmeal at night?
- What is the best way to enjoy oatmeal?
- Is it okay to eat oatmeal everyday?
- Is peanut butter and oatmeal good?
- Do you need protein with oatmeal?
- Is oatmeal A carb or protein?
- What is a good breakfast protein besides eggs?
- What should I eat with oatmeal for breakfast?
What flavor goes well with oatmeal?
Not only is oatmeal recognized for its sweet side, but it may also be prepared with savory broth or stock and topped with sautéed vegetables and fried eggs.
To make sweet oatmeal, sprinkle agave nectar, date syrup, or honey on top. Remember to add fresh blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries for added taste, texture, and color.
Consider these traditional taste combinations that go nicely with oatmeal.
- Oatmeal plus currants plus maple syrup
- Oatmeal, pears, vanilla, and yogurt
- Oatmeal, apple, cinnamon, and pecans
- Oatmeal plus chocolate plus peanut butter plus coconut
- Oatmeal with banana, blueberries, almonds, and chia seeds
- Oatmeal, spinach, mushroom, cheese, and eggs
What is an excellent protein to eat with oatmeal?
Oatmeal is high in fiber and may be readily transformed with fruit and syrup, but it lacks the satisfying and healthy protein that completes the meal.
Here are some healthy methods to produce protein-rich oatmeal when deciding what components to add to oatmeal for protein:
- Greek yogurt: Creamy, cold Greek yogurt is the ideal complement to breakfast. 2 tablespoons equals 3 grams of protein and makes the oats creamier and more flavorful.
- Nut butters: Almond, cashew, peanut, and sunflower seed butters are excellent ways to flavor the foundation. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter provides 8 grams of protein, plus some dried or fresh fruit for added sweetness.
- Black beans and oats combine to make a savory and subtly sweet dish for lunch or supper. A quarter cup has 3 grams of protein.
- Eggs: Fried or poached eggs go well with savory oatmeal toppings like bacon, onions, or cheese. One egg provides around 6 grams of protein.
- Turkey: For a nice treat, chop some turkey bacon and blend it with oats and parmesan. Each slice has 6 grams of protein.
- Almonds, walnuts, and peanuts are common nuts to offer with porridge. Pistachios are very delicious and include 6 grams of protein per serving.
- Protein powder: Instead of smoothies, protein powder may be incorporated with oatmeal for post-workout nutrition. The flavors range from vanilla to chocolate. This is an easy and fast method to enhance oatmeal.
- Cheese: Adding melted cheese to savory oatmeal with egg may make the dish more creamy and delicious. Consider parmesan cheese, which has 11 grams of protein per ounce.
What is a good side with oatmeal?
On the side, serve oatmeal with fruits, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Here are some ideas for pairing nuts, seeds, veggies, and fruits with oatmeal.
- Sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, zucchini, pumpkin, mushrooms, and spinach
- Almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, and pistachios are examples of nuts.
- Parmesan, cheddar cheese, and cottage cheese
- Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds are examples of seeds.
- Cranberries, raisins, currants, prunes, cherries, figs, and dates are examples of dried fruits.
- Blackberries, bananas, strawberries, apples, mangoes, blueberries, pears, raspberries, and peaches are all examples of fresh fruits.
- Sweeteners such as agave, honey, chocolate chips, caramel, maple syrup, stevia, brown sugar, jam, and buttermilk are used.
- Dairy products include milk, unsalted butter, cream, and yogurt.
- Dark and white chocolate
- alcoholic beverages: brandy, dark rum
Eat With Oatmeal: Conclusion
Who said oatmeal could only be eaten for breakfast? Take your morning oats beyond the ordinary with these classic combinations that take the basic porridge to the next level.
You may make a nutritious lunch, snack, or supper by using protein, fruits, and veggies.
A simple cup of oatmeal may be cooked using old-fashioned, rolled, steel-cut, groat, and oat bran to get the desired texture and taste. When combined with sides and toppings, the additions make a significant impact.
Since it is flavorless and bland, it pairs nicely with vegetables, eggs, honey, and berries.
It lacks protein for daily consumption when served with brown sugar and banana slices. To quickly add 3 to 11 grams of protein per serving, consider adding a scoop of Greek yogurt, peanut butter, black beans, fried or poached eggs, turkey bacon or sliced turkey, pistachio, protein powder, and parmesan cheese.
Depending on what you serve and eat with your oatmeal, vegetables, nuts, cheese, seeds, dried or fresh fruits, dairy, chocolate, and many more are excellent additions.
Don’t be hesitant to try various components to determine what works best for you. Who knows, maybe you’ll come up with some unusual oatmeal recipes and food combinations for those special occasions.
What goes well with oatmeal?
Berries, bananas, apples, peaches, mango, or pears are examples of fresh fruit.
Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or nutmeg are examples of spices.
Natural sweeteners such as maple syrup or honey may be used.
Unsweetened or minimally sweetened chocolate: shaved dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa content)
Additional details…•April 19, 2022
What is a good protein to eat with oatmeal?
Do you want to know how to add protein to oatmeal? Here are 10 Uses for Greek Yogurt. You may not have considered combining these two morning mainstays before, but that’s why we’re here! … Either eggs or egg whites. Do you eat eggs for breakfast already? Protein Powder…. Milk…. Chickpeas…. Nut Butter…. Bacon…. Cottage Cheese.
More to come…
What to eat with oatmeal at night?
Since oatmeal has a very neutral taste on its own, it is a good vehicle for combining it with other sleep-inducing foods such as almond butter or bananas.
What is the best way to enjoy oatmeal?
With milk, oatmeal tastes great. You may use dairy milk or a plant-based substitute like as almond, cashew, or coconut milk if you prefer. Note that adding milk to your oats increases the protein content. That’s fantastic!
Is it okay to eat oatmeal everyday?
Certainly, eating oatmeal every day is beneficial due to its nutritional profile and health advantages, which include weight management and a heart-healthy impact. As a breakfast and mid-meal snack, oats may be a better choice than the bulk of items on the market.
Is peanut butter and oatmeal good?
Is oatmeal and peanut butter a good combination? Yes! Oatmeal and peanut butter combine to form a tasty and healthful combination. This combination also results in a well-balanced diet of carbohydrates, fat, and protein.
Do you need protein with oatmeal?
On the side, you’re not getting enough protein.
(According to the USDA, one cup of cooked oatmeal prepared with water has 5 g of protein.) “For breakfast, I suggest 15 to 20 g of protein.” “Achieving this amount increases satiety, maintains muscle building and metabolism, and aids in blood sugar control,” she explains.
Is oatmeal A carb or protein?
Oat has a nutritionally balanced composition. It contains a lot of carbs and high-quality protein with a decent amino acid balance.
What is a good breakfast protein besides eggs?
If You Don’t Eat… Hemp Seeds, Here Are 35 Easy Ways to Obtain Protein in your Breakfast. We enjoy how hemp seeds deliver a plant-based protein punch…. Greek Yogurt…. Cow’s Milk…. Chia Seeds…. Black Beans…. Quinoa…. Tofu…. Nut Butter.
Additional details…•October 29, 2021
What should I eat with oatmeal for breakfast?
Oatmeal Toppings at Their Finest
Fresh fruit such as bananas, berries, sliced apples, and so on.
Raisins, cranberries, and dates are examples of dried fruit.
Almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, and flaxseed are examples of nuts and seeds.
Almond butter, peanut butter, and cashew butter are examples of nut butters.
Chia jam – try my recipe for chia jam.
Additional details…•January 5, 2022